Our Story & Heritage
Cochran Funeral Home of Blairsville
Cochran Funeral Home of Blairsville was originally established in 1950, as Akins Funeral Home, owned by Pat Akins. In 1967, Raymond Nix bought in to the business, and it became known as Akins-Nix Funeral Home. The original funeral home was located on Highway 129 south and re-located to Kimsey Street in Blairsville. Due to the retiring of Mr. Akins and the failing health of Mr. Nix, they sold the funeral home and Union Memory Gardens Cemetery to Steve and Max Cochran in 1981. After purchasing the funeral home, a larger office was added, along with another layout room, a selection room, and other minor remodeling was done.
In 1993, a new building was built, the current funeral home, located on Highway 129 and corner of Hunt-Martin Street. Steve and Max felt this building could better accommodate the growing community, and they could serve family's needs better in the new location.
Henry-Cochran Funeral Home of Blue Ridge
The Henry Funeral Home was established in 1968 by Oscar Henry. After having worked with Mr. Henry, Steve and Max purchased the funeral home in 1989, renaming it Henry-Cochran Funeral Home. Later in 1997, it was moved from East Main Street to the current location. The funeral home is in an easily assessable location on Appalachian Highway (Highway 515).
Cochran Funeral Home of Hiawassee
Surrounded by the beautiful blue mountains of Towns County, Georgia, Cochran Funeral Home in Hiawassee has been serving families there since being built in 1990, on the corner of Highway 76 and Rice Street. The spacious two story Southern Colonial style building is welcoming and warm,the rocking chairs on the front porch inviting you to sit and rest.
Finch-Cochran Funeral Home of McCaysville
The Finch Funeral Home in McCaysville, Georgia, was established in 1956 by Millard Finch and his son, Buddy. In 1991, the Finch family sold the funeral home to Steve and Max Cochran, at which time it became known as “Finch-Cochran Funeral Home.”
In recent years, the building has been completely remodeled and updated, in an effort to better serve the community. An elegant chapel, large state rooms, hallways and public areas, along with a spacious kitchen and dining hall. A modern crematory has been added to accommodate those who wish to have this type of service. The parking area is very large and accommodating, with parking for over 200 vehicles.
Cochran Funeral Home of Murphy, North Carolina
The Cochran Funeral Home in Murphy is our newest location, and opened in August of 2003. It lies in the foothills of the beautiful North Carolina mountains. It is easily accessible from Murphy, Andrews, and Hayesville, with a parking area equipped for more than two hundred vehicles and ample handicap spaces. The building is a spacious, Southern-style ranch with two large visitation rooms, a large exquisite chapel that seats approximately 250 guests, and a kitchen-lounge area for the family.